If you don't know already, I'm pretty crafty. Everything from scrapbooking to making...Custom wall plaques as you will see below!
Let me start off by excusing myself for the crummy picture phone quality photos. My DSLR camera is in the shop (sad face!) currently so all I had near me was my phone.
Supplies you will need:
-Wooden Plaque (found mine at the Dollar Store...you guessed, only $1!)
-Fine Grit Sandpaper (optional)
-Acrylic Paint (on sale at Michael's for 89¢)
-Picture Hanging Kit (also $1 at the Dollar Store)
Step One (optional): If your wooden plaque is a bit bumpy (you never know the condition you will get it in, specially from the Dollar Store) or has any imperfections, use a fine grit sandpaper over the front and sides of the surface. Make sure to wipe clean your plaque afterwards with a clean dry cheese cloth.
Step Two: Get your newspaper ready and on the table. The painting process can become a bit messy and if you're doing this with children, you will definitely want to lay down something so no major accidents happen.
Step Three: Add a few drops of the paint right onto the plaque and start to paint. A nice, even, thin coat will work. Think layers here. It's better to do a few coats than a thick one (all my lady friend's should understand this from painting their nails...right? *grin*). Also, be careful of brush/foam marks. Don't worry about the edges right now. We will take care of that in a bit.
Step Four: Wait to dry. This is the hardest part for me! I'm an inpatient gal, so I stuck it in front of the little foot heater I had. Dried in about 5-7 minutes.
Step Five: Apply two-four coats, depending on how thick your paint is.
Step Six: After all the paint is dry, it's all up to you now as to what you want on your sign! I decided that I really (maybe too much!) liked the rhinestones. Went a little overboard...but hey, diamonds are a girls best friend. Even if they're fake:). Be creative here! You can really do anything here! This would be really cute for a little boy or girls name, hang from a ribbon and hang near the crib. Or, as a gift and having the persons address number on it so they can hang it on their door. Possibilities are endless!
Now, my wooden plaque didn't come with a way to hang it. No worries! While I was at the dollar store, I picked up a picture hanging kit. It came with hanging wire, nails and a few other different things. The one you want to nail in your board is the little guy right of the nail (second over from the left).
You can also hang a ribbon or bow from the back and just staple it to the back and hang. Viola!
Now you're ready to hang your wooden plaque! If you guys decide to make your own, PLEASE email me or post pictures here of what you made! I would love to see what you come up with!
Until next time...



No comments:
Post a Comment